The Path

Hadhrat Abdullah bin Umar radiyalaahu anhuma had mentioned, "Whoever wishes to follow the way of another, should follow the ways of those who have passed away. These were the companions of Muhammad sallalaahu alayhi wassalam, who were the best people of this Ummah. Their hearts were most pious, their knowledge was deepest and they were least pretentious. They were people whom Allah Ta'ala had chosen to be companions of His Nabi sallalaahu alayhi wassalam and for the transmission of His Deen. You people should emulate their character and mannerisms. By the Rabb of the Kaabah! The Sahabah radiyalaahu anhum of Rasulullah sallalaahu alayhi wassalam were correctly guided."

Friday 21 October 2011

Close Encounter of the Tabligh Jamaat: Part 4 - Wealth & Wife


Right about the time when I first received my 'tablighis' guests at home, I had been offered a new job in another public listed company. Higher position, better pay and a posh comfortable office room with a great lake view. The job was another phase of trial that I had to endure.

Whenever tasykeel was being made that required me to take a few days off from office work, the first thing that came to my mind was how on earth could I take a leave when it was just a few days I had started on the new job. Those tablighis brothers ought to be more sensitive of my awkward situation. How could I possibly justify my leave after only a few days on board the new company? The excuses dragged from days to weeks, and from weeks to months. Even when months passed by, I still thought the excuse not to take leave was justifiable. The truth is I had put the importance to go out in the path of Allah for only three days as priority number 100. But as time passed by I began to feel more and more guilty about it. There were many times when the weekends were coincided with public holidays on either Monday or Friday, but I was still not serious enough to use the long weekend for the purpose of dakwah and self-rectification, even without having to apply for leave. Other things seemed more important that giving time for dakwah and tabligh effort. When you put ten cent coins right in front your eyes, you would not be able to see the millions of money in front of you.

When I were able to somehow painstakingly subdued the ordeals mentioned, I had yet to face another trial. This time the tribulation came from the person closest to me - my wife. My first initial contact with tablighi jamaat had invited averse and dissenting treatment from my wife. I could understand the rejecting attitude of my wife since the foremost thing that she saw from all those visits was to lure her husband away from her, away from home and away from family. But I could not understand the rather irritating controlling attitude that overcame her which I had never seen coming from her before. I know now that Shaytaan could have made special efforts to get our life companion to call in question, take issue, disapprove, defy and protest against the central and paramount effort that Rasulullah sallalaahu alayhi wassalam had left to be continuously carried out by his Ummah after him. Let other people do it, but leave my husband alone! He is all mine, and mine alone. The most obedient wives could turned rebellious and unmanageable against her husband when it concern dakwah and tabligh. Mark my word in bold. You will never truthfully and faithfully know your wife until you experience this. The brief turmoil relationship of Adam alayhis salam and Hawa radiyalaahu anha came to mind.

"Say: If it be that your fathers' your sons, your brothers, your mates, or your kindred; the wealth that ye have gained; the commerce in which ye fear a decline; or the dwellings in which ye delight - are dearer to you that Allah or His Messenger, or the striving in His cause; - then wait until Allah brings about His Decision; and Allah guides not the rebellious." (At-taubah 9:24)

Man's heart clings to his own kith and kin-parents, children, brothers and sisters, husbands or wives, or other relatives, wealth and prosperity, commerce or means of profit and gain, or noble buildings, for dignity or comfort. If these are a hindrance in Allah's cause, we have to choose which we love most. We must love Allah even if it involves the sacrifice of all else. If we love our worldly ties and comforts, profits and pleasures, more than we love Allah, and therefore fail to respond to Allah's cause, it is not Allah's cause which will suffer. Allah's purpose will be accomplished, with or without us. But our failure to respond to His will must leave us bereft of grace and guidance, "for Allah guides not the rebellious."


No comments:

Post a Comment